I’ve been blogging for quite some time and I’ve found that there’s many things have become a must for me and that includes great lighting and cute office decor in the small blogging space I have in my home office. It’s small because I share the office with my husband. But if I’m being honest he has a very small space and the rest of the room is taken up by my many organizers, my food photography props, craft supplies, and a photography lighting set. With that being said I have very little space for my own desk space but I’ve found a way to make it all work in the corner of the room that doesn’t make me feel like I’m working in a cave.
I parent, I wife, I craft, I cook, I take photos, I write … I’m a jack of all trades. Through the years I’ve found many things I just have to have in what I’ve dubbed my “blogging office.” If you’re a seasoned blogger you probably already have your own list of must-haves. We all have our own personal preferences and I’m going to share some of mine today.
9 Things Every Blogger Must Have in Their Office
- A computer. I think it’s safe to say that if you’re going to blog or already blog this is a must-have. A few months back my computer crashed when I ran the all important update that everyone swore would make my computer run more smoothly. I went a few days without a computer, no way to blog, and I almost missed a deadline. Scary thing to be a blogger with no computer.
- A desk. I used to work at my kitchen table because the office started out as my husband’s office. It was fair, he owns a business and he has lots of work to do. But as my blog has grown so have my needs for space. Basically, I took over almost the entire office on accident. I’m getting off subject (again), sorry. Anyways, once I got my own desk and my own work space it was easier for me to focus which means less time invested in the internet stuck at the kitchen table and more time with my family. Plus, my mess is in one area instead of the kitchen table.
- An inspiration board. This keeps my current projects front and center as a reminder when I sit down and also lets me add whatever inspires me at any given moment and I can change things out when and if I want. I also have an addiction to pretty push pins and washi tape so this is a perfect excuse to use them.
- A desk lamp. Good lighting is important no matter what I’m doing especially since my desk space sits in the corner of the office. I really like my white OttLite LED FlexNeck Desk Lamp because it lights up my entire work space. It’s a must-have for when I’m working at my desk, crafting in the early morning or in the evening, or when I just need to see the colors of what I’m working on. The flex neck is really great because I can move it around to wherever I need the light to shine and the 3 lighting options give me the option to have it as low or as bright as I want. As an added bonus it has a USB output in the base which allows me to charge my cell phone. Plus, the OttLite just looks great on my desk! You must be wondering why I’m talking so much about this? It’s because I’m giving one away to one lucky Crafty Housewife reader! The contest ends March 7th so be sure to enter soon! More details are at the bottom of this post.
- A planner. A blogging planner is so important. Your planner should have space for monthly, weekly, and daily plans. I use mine to help me plan out my editorial calendar and to keep me on track. I prefer a paper planner, some bloggers really like creating a file to keep track of their blog plans. This is all about preference.
- A comfortable chair. I have days where I don’t touch my computer or come into the office at all if I’m on top of scheduling my posts. Other times I’m sitting at my desk for 4-5 hours straight so I need my chair to be comfortable. A cute pillow helps support my back when I need a little extra cushion.
- An inspiring picture or a pretty gallery wall. I find that having something pretty or inspiring on the wall by my desk helps me find a creative spark at times and it just helps my office feel more put together. I love having something beautiful to look at. Because I couldn’t decided on just one pretty picture I decided on 9 fun wall hangings… how can you pick just one?! I spray painted the wooden @ and # sign white, used 3 printables that I found online and attached one to a clip board that I hung on the wall in case I decide I want to change it up. Now I can just print, clip, and easily change the look of my gallery wall by changing out just that one picture.
- Storage space. Whether you’re a craft blogger, a review blogger, or a food blogger, it’s inevitable that you’ll need space to store all of your fun supplies, craft projects, and incoming review products. I have storage shelves, baskets, rolling carts, paper organizers, and big storage containers to hold of my blogging and craft essentials.
- An endless supply of notepads, sticky notes, and pens. I go through so many notebooks and sticky notes. I use them for jotting down quick notes, writing down ideas when I’m taking a blogging class, keeping track of campaign details, and also when I think of inspiring ideas that I might want to play around with later. I also like to keep my website secure so I change my password pretty frequently, to keep track of it I write it down on a sticky note and stick it to this cute little blog password keeper I designed to match my office. It’s 4″x6″ so it fits nicely on top of my desk and a sticky note works perfectly. If you’d like my FREE PRINTABLE blog password keeper for your own office you can download it here because I love sharing with my readers. Remember to set your printer on the highest quality setting so that it prints nicely.
Enter to Win an OttLite Desk Lamp (Just like the one pictured in the photos above!)
And finally, remember that awesome OttLite lamp I talked about? You could win one of your own by entering below! Exciting, right?!
Here’s a little more about OttLite:
OttLite brings the power of natural daylight indoors with its innovative and functional lighting products. Founded by Dr. John Ott, the father of time lapse photography, OttLite helps you see details clearly & colors accurately while reducing glare & eyestrain. From floor lamps to table lamps to magnification, OttLite has the right lamp to help you do what you love, longer.
And, OttLite’s innovative LED desk lamps are intelligently designed to combine great features like USB charging ports, multiple brightness settings, adjustability and even storage with incredible natural daylight LED illumination for a great lighting experience.
Buy it now! Too impatient to wait or maybe you didn’t win? That’s okay! OttLite has offered my readers 30% off any OttLite purchase by using the code OttliteLED30 valid through May 31st, 2016.
There’s 2 ways to enter and you can enter every day for the next week. The giveaway will end at noon on March 7th, 2016! I wish you the best of luck!